Friday, May 30, 2008

Countdown to Slumber Party!!

sleeping bag



Saturday is the big sleepover for my now 11 year old daughter. I have been running around like crazy this week trying to get organized for the big day. I think I have been to the grocery store about 4 times! Her real birthday was yesterday, but in between me running around ordering cake and finalizing plans and calling back all the lovely Moms who left me questions on the answering machine, going to the school for an assembly only to realize that instead of 9 am- it's at 2 pm (agh!) and then to realize that I must have left the video camera turned on from the non-existent 9 a.m. showing so that it sat in the car until 2 pm. and died! Our little puppy, Daisy had her "girl surgery" this week and is quite upset with her new satellite dish collar and doesn't understand the term "limited activity" and wants to go out and play! So she sits and HOWLS all day!! All this and dragging the wonderful, temperamental 3 year old with me. I am wiped out and we haven't even had the party yet!



The big plan is to have the girls dropped off at a local salon for a "Princess" manicure & pedicure. Afterward on to pizza (good old standby - who doesn't like pizza?) and then home for the ice cream cake & sleepover.



BUT what to do with 10 little pre-teen girls who all feel they are sooooooo mature? Too grown up for American Girl dolls (what?! I really enjoyed buying all those cute little matching and oh so expensive clothes for my daughter & doll. I am not ready to tuck away her small collection of them just yet.)



So we have a few simple crafts....they can personalize their new pair of flipflops that I will present to them at the salon (can't ruin their newly painted toenails squeezing their feet back into tennis shoes!) with glitterglue, stickers and fuzzy tie on thingys. Also ready for them is to make a small- pink- camouflage- heart shaped -fleece- tie fringe pillow (did that make sense?) Then I have also on standby - 3 containers worth of costumes and wigs and highheels for them to doll themselves up with. Not to mention the 6 bags of chips, cookies, sodas and other misc sleepover junk food.



I did the parent lock on all the "adult" type of channels and I am not talking the Playboy channel - just the basic Showtimes & HBO's that play really explicit movies at 10 p.m. on weekends...(only according to the tv guide! haa-haa!)

Got the fridge stocked up with a myriad of breakfast foods. I'm making waffles!! got walkie talkies waiting ( my idea of a baby monitor in the room with them got vetoed!) for any middle of the night meltdowns...8 year old brother has been banished from the house for the night (sleeping over at his cousin's house) Can't do much about the 3 year old, who knows?.. maybe they will dress him up too - he doesn't mind the attention - he usually calls his big sister's friends "sweetie". Got the goodie bags waiting by the door to send the newly polished/painted/soda hangovers/sleep deprived little darlings on home with....

Am I forgetting anything..? Okay - seasoned Moms out there...am I leaving anything out...? mayday...mayday...I've only got 24 hours & counting....

Leave me a comment if you can think of anything! :)

15 comments:

twintoo10292 said...

I think you covered all bases for the girls but you may want to bring a small glass (No I didn't say mug) of wine up to the bedroom with you to sip on while listening to the walkie talkies. It does tend to make one thirsty!! Have a great time--my daughter had 3 friends spend the night last night(celebrating last day of school) and her brother had four!!) Don't have to worry about entertaining them at all in High School. Just plenty of soda and frozen pizza. Happy weekend. Twin

Glenda said...

Well I think you've got it pretty well covered.
How about a Karaoke machine for the girls to show their talents. That might be too much.
Any way I hope they all have fun.

Ciao
Glenda

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Hi Twin! Ha-haa! Good idea about the wine!:)

Oh Glenda! oooh! a karaoke machine! My daughter has one in her room but I will move it into the room they will be hanging out in!

Thanks Ladies! :)

Donna Lynn said...

Oh Laurie,
I don't have a thing to add, I don't have girls! My boy parties consisted of BB gun fights, food fights, real fights, paint ball fights, and then the sneaking out!

Ask me when you host the boy parties...:) I'll tell ya ALL SORTS of things then!!

XO,
DL

Anonymous said...

It sounds like so much fun. Can I come?!

I still remember the slumber parties from my younger days.

You're making wonderful memories for your daughter.

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Awww! Thanks Beverly! I know, we need to have a Women's Sleepover. Wouldn't that be fun...? Not sure I would be able to move the next day after sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag but it sure would be fun! :)

Tausha said...

I have 3 girls and the girlier the better. The one thing that I did at a sleepover when i was about the age of all the partigoers is made a movie. It is truly amazing what girls, all alone with costumes, their imaginations and a video camera can come up. We had a ball making the music video and even more fun watching it. Just a thought-I think that they would all love it! Plus-your daughter will always have a physical memory of her first sleepover. And you will have embarrasing info in case you ever need it! Love your blog-love your style and hopeefully, you will be back after the party. If not,i sure will miss you! good Luck!

Donna Lynn said...

Oh Laurie,
I sure hope all went well with the party, are you worn out??? How did Mr. 3 yr. old do this weekend with all the girl energy going off all over the place??

Hope your sleeping like a rock and all is quiet again!
XO,
Donna Lynn

Heather said...

So glad to hear from you! I was starting to worry!! I can see why you have been M.I.A. though- you have been super busy! The party sounds like so much fun! I bet you are exhausted though!!! Can't wait to hear how it all went!
-Heather :)

Mary said...

So how did it go? Are you still alive? :)
xoxo,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie! I am absolutely exhausted after reading your post!!!lol The sleep over days are gone for me but I wish I had had as many ideas as you do when my daughter was younger. Now that she is 18 and reminds me she is an adult the term "sleep over" scares me!!lol Enjoy this age it goes fast (but not as fast as you are hoping the night goes I'll bet!) The baby monitor might give you more of an earful than you are ready for! Take a long nap you're gonna need it! - Jeannette

Donna Lynn said...

Hi there!
How is everything today? Hope your rested up...come by and sign up for my giveaway and let me know how you are!!!
XO

Heather said...

OK, now you are really starting to freak me out! Did the girls gang up on you and stuff you in a sleeping bag and drop you off the side of a mountain somewhere? Do I need to call for Search and Rescue??
-Heather :)

Picket said...

hey girl...hope you survived the sleep over! lol Just wanted to run by and say I hope you have had a great week and that you have an even greater weekend!

suzan said...

love the flip flop idea:) I first saw your living room on rms and i looked at it no less than a dozen times, one of my favorite rooms ever!